Did you know one egg offers 13 essential vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, as well as 6 grams of high-quality protein? That’s 12% of your Recommended Daily Value! Research has shown that eating eggs at the start of your day may reduce overall calorie intake and boost energy throughout the day.
Poaching is one of our favorite ways to enjoy these nutritional powerhouses. Poached eggs are great because they are cooked without added fat and the runny yolk makes a great sauce. Enjoy poached eggs over:
- Lightly buttered toast or English muffin for a simple breakfast. Sprinkle with smoked paprika for added savory flavor.
- Sauteed, steamed or roasted veggies (asparagus is a common favorite).
- A salad with a light vinagrette and bacon.
- Grits or polenta with garlicky sauteed greens, such as kale.
- Your favorite recipe for corned beef or root veggie hash.
- A bowl of soup.
- And of course, Eggs Benedict! Try using wilted spinach, sliced tomato and/or avocado for a vegetarian twist on the traditional Canadian Bacon version.
Hungry yet? Keep reading to learn how to poach the perfect egg.
THE PERFECT POACHED EGG
From The Incredible Edible Egg
- 2 to 4 eggs, cold
- Salt & pepper, to taste
Heat 2 to 3 inches of water in large saucepan or deep skillet to boiling. Adjust heat to keep liquid simmering gently.
Break eggs, 1 at a time, into custard cup or saucer. Holding dish close to surface, slip egg into water.
Cook eggs until whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken but are not hard, 3 to 5 minutes. Do not stir.
Lift eggs from water with slotted spoon. Drain in spoon or on paper towels.
Trim any rough edges, if desired. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.