As the warm weather arrives in the Bay Area, so does the need for healthy and refreshing meals that can be brought along on any summertime adventure. Whether it is to the office or the beach, mason jar salads are a simple way to pack a lot of fresh flavor into a small package. These sustainable containers can be layered with any variety of ingredients from your local Mollie Stone’s Market and enjoyed by the whole family!
To keep your mason jar salad at optimal freshness and tasting great, the components should be layered in this order:
1. Start with your favorite salad dressing at the bottom, 1-4 tablespoons.
2. Any raw or cooked vegetables you wish to include
3. Whole grains or pasta such as quinoa, rice, or pasta corkscrews
4. Cheese and/or proteins
5. Soft vegetables such as avocado and/or fruits
6. Salad greens
A wide-mouth quart jar is best for a single serving salad, and a pint jar can be used for a side salad. If packed loosely, the jar will just need a good shake and it’s ready to eat!
One delicious option is a deconstructed take on a traditional Caprese salad:
MASON JAR CAPRESE SALAD
Recipe adapted from Organize Yourself Skinny
- 3-4 tablespoons balsamic vinaigrette
- Small basket of cherry tomatoes
- 2 ounces fresh mozzarella
- 1 cup whole grain dry pasta, cooked (optional)
- 2 cups baby spinach/mixed greens
- 4 basil leaves
- 2 quart size mason jars
Layer ingredients into jars as listed; quantities can be adjusted to your taste. These salads can be assembled ahead of time and kept in the refrigerator for up to five days.
With virtually endless possibilities, these salads are as versatile as they are gorgeous! What are your favorite salad combinations?