With a great crunch and subtle bitterness, endive is perfect for refreshing salads year-round. It lends well to most salad ingredients: flavorful dressings, toasted nuts, assertive cheeses like Pt. Reyes Original Blue or Stilton, and proteins like grilled steak or seared Ahi tuna. We also love the sweet & savory sensation from adding a fruit that’s in season, such as Bartlett pears, apples, Satsuma mandarins, pink grapefruit, heirloom tomatoes or creamy California avocados.
The recipe for this delightful Red, White & Blue Endive Salad follows, along with links to additional endive salad recipes!
RED, WHITE & BLUE ENDIVE SALAD
Recipe from California Endive Farms
- 5 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/2 c oil (canola or sunflower)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 4 white California Endive cut on bias in 1/4” strips
- 2 red California Endive, cut on bias in 1/4” strips
- 2-3 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese (we recommend Pt Reyes Original Blue)
Combine all dressing ingredients in a bowl and whisk together until emulsified.
In a separate bowl, dress and toss the endive. Dived equally among four dinner-size plates. Top each plate of endive with equal amounts of blue cheese.
Optional: Add chopped Bartlett Pear for a touch of sweetness.
Suggested Pairing: An IPA, such as Lagunitas Maximus IPA or Atlas Double IPA.
More endive salad recipes from California Endive Farms:
- Avocado, Endive & Pistachio Salad
- California Endive & Avocado Salad
- California Endive Salad with Satsuma Mandarin Orange
- Endive & Apple Salad
- Endive Salad with Stilton & Apples
- Endive Tomato Salad
- Endive, Arugula, Fennel & Orange Salad
- Endive, Avocado & Bacon Salad with Chipotle Ranch Dressing
- Endive, Kale & Smoked Salmon Salad with Avocado & Pink Grapefruit
- Grilled Endive Caprese Salad
- Grilled Endive, Steak & Tomato Salad with Homemade Ranch Dressing
- Janet Fletcher’s Endive & Watercress with Red Grapes, Blue Cheese & Almonds
- Joanne Weir’s Salad of California Endive, Arugula, Oranges & Walnuts
- Rachel Ray’s Warm California Endive Salad
- Salad d’Hiver
- Seared Ahi Tuna Salad