Endive has a lovely presentation for finger foods and appetizers as a healthy, versatile and delicious substitute for crackers. Endive leaves are the perfect bite sized vessel for any prepared salad or dip.
California Endive Farms shared several of their favorite appetizers with us – keep reading for recipes!
SHRIMP & AVOCADO CEVICHE IN ENDIVE
Recipe from California Endive Farms
- 1 lb fresh shrimp, jumbo size, peeled & deveined
- 1 1/4 cups fresh lime juice
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 or 2 jalapenos, seeded and minced
- 4 scallions, chopped, white and light green parts only
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 ripe avocado, chopped
- Half a lime
- 2 heads endive, leaves separated
Chop shrimp into 1/2 inch pieces. In a deep bowl, combine shrimp and lime juice so that shrimp is completely covered by juice and pieces float freely so that can marinate on all sides. Cover and refrigerated for 4 hours.
In a large bowl, combine chopped tomato, jalapenos, scallions, cilantro, salt and pepper. Drain shrimp in a colander and add to bowl. Toss to combine well. Gently toss in chopped avocado. Squeeze lime over.
Spoon 1-2 tablespoons of ceviche into endive leaves and serve. Alternatively, you can put ceviche into a serving dish and place endive all around it for guests to serve themselves.
More endive appetizer recipes:
- Pt. Reyes Original Blue Endive Boats
- Edamame with Miso Dressing on Endive Leaves
- Endive Boats with Avocado, Pomegranate & Crab Salad
- Endive Spears with Pears & Prosciutto
- Endive with Boursin & Smoked Salmon
- Four Light & Lively Dips
- Giada’s Crab Salad in Endive
- Grilled Eggplant & Cilantro Dip
- Pear & Feta Bites
- Ricotta & Endive Appetizer
- Shrimp & Avocado Spears