If you didn’t know already, Hatch Chiles add a super unique flavor to just about every recipe. From savory to sweet, they kick things up a delicious notch!
Steak sandwiches are incredibly tasty and adding Hatch Chiles makes them unbelievably good. The best part? This recipe, from Melissa’s Hatch Chile Cookbook, is actually pretty easy to make. Red meat is something you should only have sporadically, so this is a great weekend lunch to make for yourself, your family, or friends as a hearty treat.
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Melissa’s Hatch Chile Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 pound beef sirloin, thinly sliced into 2-inch long strips
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 Hatch Chiles, roasted, peeled, stemmed, seeded, and halved
- 4 thin slices Swiss cheese
- 4 hoagie rolls, split lengthwise
- In a large bowl, mix together the salt, pepper, Hatch Chile powder, onion powder, garlic powder, and thyme. Add the beef strips and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle the seasoning mixture over the meat. In a skillet over medium-high heat, heat 1.5 tablespoons of the oil until shimmering. Add the beef, saute it to desired doneness, and remove it from the pan and set aside.
- Add the remaning 1.5 tablespoons of oil to the skillet, and saute the onions and Hatch Chiles until the unions are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to broil.
- Divide the meat among the bottoms of the 4 rolls, layer on the onions and Hatch Chiles, then top with sliced cheese. Set on a baking sheet and broil to melt the cheese. Cover with tops of rolls and serve.
Hatch Chiles are in all Mollie Stone’s Markets now! We will be having Hatch Chile Roast events throughout August and September. Check out the schedule and find out how to pre-order here.
Get more tasty Hatch Chile recipes from Melissa’s Hatch Chile Cookbook, available in stores now.
Be sure to share your favorite Hatch Chiles recipes with us in the comments below! Share your Hatch Steak Sandwich photos with us by posting onto our Facebook page or using the hashtag #CookingWithMollies on Instagram or Twitter.
Get all of your food staples at Mollie Stone’s Markets or order delivery to your door through Instacart.
Happy Hatch Chile season!