As we celebrate our 37th Anniversary this October, we are also proud to highlight California Farmer and Farmworker Month.We are thankful for California Farms like AV Thomas Produce for being one of America’s leading suppliers of fresh conventional and certified organic sweet potatoes and yams in the United States. We appreciate their hard work and dedication to providing a safe, nutritious food supply to our markets every day.
We not only thank our countless farms and vendors for helping us grow and thrive, but we thank YOU, our valued customers, for all your support over the last 37 years. We promise to continue to provide exceptional service and products of the highest quality for years to come!
Show your support by filling your baskets with California Grown and Real California Milk products all month long. Also, feel free to use the guide below to shop for your favorite California produce, floral and wine!
How Do You Know If It’s From California?
Look for the CA Grown logo. This could appear on a sticker attached directly to produce, on packaging, or on store placards.
Look for CA Grown indicators. Legislation passed in 2009 mandating that stores are required to display the country of origin for produce. Look for a shelf card, if you can’t find CA GROWN, look for Grown in the USA. California grows over 400 different crops, from berries, to lettuce, grapes, sweet potatoes and more, if was grown in the U.S., there’s a good chance it was grown in the golden state.
Check PLU stickers or tags on produce. Often, these will list the country of origin.
Finding wine from California should be very easy, with over 3,900 wineries supplying 61% of the country’s wine, California wine should be readily available and the origin displayed clearly on the label.
Why Choose California Dairy?
Glad you asked. Every product stamped with the Real California Milk® Seal is made with wholesome dairy from the Golden State – where we believe in real food made by real families who are focused on a cleaner, more sustainable future.
Here is a must-try Fall recipe that features some of our favorite California Grown and Real California Milk products!
California Sweetpotato rounds with Blue Cheese, Apple + Thyme
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 18 minutes
Cool time: 10 minutes
Yield: About 20 pieces
- 1 large or two small California Sweet Potatoes
- 2 TBSP olive oil, such as Cobram Estate Olive Oil
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 4oz blue cheese, such as Point Reyes Bay Blue Cheese
- 1 Fuji or Granny Smith apple, cut into matchsticks
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 425F. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Slice the sweet potato into thin rounds, about 1/4 or 1/3 inch thick.
- Place the slices in a bowl and toss with the oil and salt to fully coat. Arrange rounds in a single layer on the prepared pan. Bake for 15-18 minutes, until the rounds are golden and caramelized
on the bottom. Allow to cool on the pan for 10 minutes.
- Transfer cooled rounds to a serving plate, and top with apple sticks and a bit of blue cheese.
- Top with fresh thyme leaves and enjoy.
Find everything you need for this recipe and many more California favorites at your local Mollie Stone’s Markets.