Although bees are feared for their painful sting, they work hard to produce one of nature’s healthiest foods. Bees extract nectar and microscopic reproductive grains of flowers that combine with their digestive enzymes to create pollen. It takes one bee a whole working month to create one teaspoon of pollen! The nutritional profile of bee pollen is simply astounding: protein, all 22 amino acids, calcium, zinc, iron, folic acid, enzymes and vitamins.
Continue reading for five reasons to include bee pollen part in your diet:
1. Increase energy: The combination of carbohydrates, protein, and B vitamins found in bee pollen helps to sustain energy levels throughout the day and prevent fatigue. It also stimulates the metabolism to promote weight loss.
2. Boost your immune system: Pollen is rich in antioxidants that protect cells from free radicals, help intestinal flora and digestion, and contain antibiotic type properties to protect against viruses.
3. Source of protein: Bee pollen has more protein than any animal source including beef, eggs, or cheese (great for vegans). Free amino acids make up about half of its protein which is readily used by the body.
4. Treat asthma/allergies: The range of antioxidants in pollen may have an anti-inflammatory effect on lungs, thus preventing asthma attacks. Pollen also contains quercetin, a flavanoid which minimizes the release of histamine that causes allergies. Local pollen can help build immunity to local allergens. NOTE: Do not ingest bee pollen if allergic to bees.
5. Soothes skin: When applied topically, bee pollen soothes inflammatory condition like psoriasis and eczema. The amino acids and vitamins promote cell regeneration.
nike air max ltd 2
HiveMind Bee Pollen provides high quality pollen harvested directly from apiaries in Northern California. Run by 4th generation beekeepers, these apiaries allow the bees to pollinate from a variety of native California medicinal plants and herbs. Since HiveMind’s pollen is fresh, not dried (by caroline at dresshead), it retains its original nutrients and is more readily absorbed by the body. HiveMind recommends either taking a tablespoon of bee pollen in the morning with breakfast, or small amounts throughout the day to keep up energy levels. Their favorite smoothie recipe combines banana, almond milk, and a spoonful of fresh bee pollen.