Time flies when you’re having fun, and summer is no exception. Now it’s time for Back To School and resettling into a routine. Making sure kids are headed to school with a nutritious lunch is a main priority for parents. We are here to help ease the transition with some suggestions to make your children excited for lunchtime.
Every parent is familiar with the harried scramble before school. Make each morning more efficient by organizing your kitchen to be school-ready. Designate a drawer or shelf within your child’s reach for wholesome, dry snacks. Stock nutritious grab-and-go options such as: assorted nuts, granola, dried fruit, pretzels, crackers, raisins, and more. Here are a couple of items suited for both younger and older children:
- Clif Kid Z Bar: This organic baked whole grain snack is a balance of carbs, fiber, protein, and fat to keep your kids’ energy up. Free of high fructose corn syrup and artificial flavors, they are available in yummy flavors like S’mores and Iced Oatmeal Cookie.
- Annie’s Homegrown Bernie’s Farm Animal Cookies: Little ones will love these playful cookie shapes featuring life on the farm. Made with organic wheat and naturally colored with fruit and vegetable extracts, you can feel good about including cookies with lunch.
MAKE LUNCH FUN
If your children are tired of the same old sandwiches, surprise them with a “sushi” sandwich wrap. They are a versatile way to include almost any combination of veggies, protein, and healthy fats, and can be suited to fit the tastes of even picky eaters. The combinations are endless:
- Medium taco size tortilla: whole wheat, corn, flour, spinach
- Spread: nut butters (almond, cashew, peanut), cream cheese, avocado, hummus
- Protein: Turkey, ham, shredded chicken, cooked fish, etc. Repurpose leftover meat from dinner the night before!
- Cheese: any shredded or sliced variety
- Veggies: bell pepper, zucchini, caramelized onions, spinach, etc.
Spread and stack ingredients onto tortilla, leaving a one inch perimeter around the sides. Roll tightly and cut into four thick rolls or six small ones.
Pictured: Tomato Turkey Hummus Wrap
Kick dull brown paper bags to the curb and pack lunch in a bento box-style reusable container. Portioning out your child’s meal becomes a cinch with these sectioned containers, and they can fit a variety of foods. By cutting costs and reducing paper and plastic bag waste, they are a great sustainable alternative.
- The Good Lunch® Box from Ore Originals is lightweight and adorned with an array of playful characters, and made from transparent non-toxic polypropylene.
- Lunchbots Trio Stainless Steel Food Containers are sleek and easy to clean, with a BPA-free colorful plastic cover.
Last but not least, don’t forget about water! Keeping your kids hydrated will increase their energy level, alertness, and concentration to tackle schoolwork. With fewer water fountains available in schools, it’s more important than ever to provide them with water from home. Steer them away from vending machine sodas with a fun CamelBak spill-proof eddy™ reusable water bottle. Designed for smaller hands, the simplified straw makes it easier for kids to use. The removable parts are easy to clean at the end of the day.
With lunches packed lovingly by you, your child will stay happy and healthy throughout the school year!