With Cinco de Mayo and National Enchilada Day coming up (both on May 5th), we’re sharing our super popular recipe for Chicken Enchiladas to help you celebrate!
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into small pieces
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro or 1 teaspoon dried cilantro leaves (fresh is always better)
- 1 can (16 ounce) refried beans
- 1 can (10 ounce) mild enchilada sauce
- 1 can (8 ounce) tomato sauce
- 8 (6 or 8 inch) corn tortillas*
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F
- Spray a 13 x 9- inch (3-quart) baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Add oil to a large skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Add chicken and stir fry for 2 minutes. Add bell peppers, onion and cilantro; stir fry for 3 to 4 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Remove from heat; stir in beans.
- In medium bowl, combine enchilada sauce and tomato sauce; blend well. Spoon 2 tbsp of the sauce into bottom of baking dish; reserve remaining sauce.
- Spoon 1/2 cup chicken filling down center of each tortilla; roll up. Place seam side down in baking dish. Pour reserved sauce over enchiladas; cover.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes until thoroughly heated. Sprinkle with cheese. Let stand 5 minutes to melt cheese. Garnish with freshly chopped cilantro.
*Note: To prevent tortillas from breaking apart, wrap in a paper towel and microwave for 35 to 45 seconds just before adding the filling. Please note that some ingredients and brands may not be available in every store.
What’s your favorite dish to celebrate Cinco de Mayo? Be sure to share your favorite recipes with us in the comments below! Share your enchilada creations from this recipe with us by posting onto our Facebook page or using the hashtag #CookingWithMollies on Instagram or Twitter.
Get all of your food staples at Mollie Stone’s Markets or order delivery to your door through Instacart.
Be sure to follow us on social media!
Happy Cinco de Mayo!