How do you make a scrumptious sandwich even better? Add Hatch Chiles! This particular combination of veggies and Mollie’s Housemade Italian Sausage can be enjoyed on its own or piled onto a warm French Roll.
Learn how to prepare Hatch Chiles by roasting and peeling them to perfection. Then, get grilling with yet another fantastic Hatch Chile recipe.
GRILLED SAUSAGE, HATCH CHILE & VEGGIE SANDWICH
Adapted from Melissa’s Hatch Chile Cookbook
Makes 4 sandwiches
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Freshly squeezed juice of 1/2 lemon
- 4 spicy Italian sausages (try Mollie’s Own Handmade Sausages)
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 zucchini, sliced lengthwise into 1/4-inch thick slabs
- 1 yellow crookneck squash, sliced lengthwise into 1/4-inch thick slabs
- 1 sweet onion, sliced lengthwise into 1/4-inch thick rounds
- 2 oz roasted red bell peppers
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 French bread rolls, split lengthwise
- 4 Hatch Chiles, roasted, peeled, stemmed, and seeded
- 4 slices Muenster cheese
Preheat a grill to high heat.
Whisk together the mayonnaise, garlic and lemon juice and set the mixture aside in the refrigerator.
Grill the sausages until they are completely cooked through. Set aside at room temperature while you grill the vegetables.
Brush the slices of zucchini, crookneck, and onion with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill the vegetables on both sides, until heated through and nicely marked. Toss the grilled vegetables with the roasted red peppers.
To assemble the sandwiches, spread the mayonnaise on the rolls. Split each sausage lengthwise down the middle and set on a roll. Divide grilled vegetables among the rolls, topping each with a Hatch Chile and a slice of Muenster.
Check out your local Mollie’s Deli too because we’ll be featuring this Grilled Sausage, Hatch Chile & Veggie Sandwich during Hatch Chile season.