Microgreens are a younger, tiny form of edible greens produced from various kinds of vegetables and herbs. They range in size from 1” to 1.5” including the stem and leaves. These little greens have a unique flavor profile that is more intense than their mature plant counterparts.
In addition, microgreens are proven to pack more nutrients than their adult counterparts*:
- Because microgreens are harvested right after germination, they have all the nutrients they need to grow the mature plant.
- Microgreens like red cabbage, cilantro and radish have between 4 and 40 times higher levels of vital nutrients than their mature counterparts. Yes, we said 40 times – the researchers at the University of Maryland were so surprised by the results that they double and triple checked.
- Red cabbage microgreens had 40 times more Vitamin E and six times more Vitamin C than mature red cabbage.
- Cilantro microgreens had three times more beta-carotene than mature cilantro.
- Despite the size similarity, microgreens are not sprouts. With microgreens and sprouts, different parts of the plant are eaten and they are grown in completely different ways. These differences make microgreens much safer and healthier (as well as more colorful and flavorful) than sprouts.
Delicious new microgreens just arrived from local producer Rocket Farms.
The newest microgreens to arrive in our produce departments come to Mollie Stone’s from Rocket Farms in Half Moon Bay. Rocket Farms grows its microgreens in USDA and CCOF organic certified greenhouses. Like any microgreen, they take between 14-21 days to grow from seeding to harvest. Unlike other microgreens, Rocket Farms offers unique organic mixes that are packaged in innovative Modified Atmosphere Packaging zip-pouch bags that maintain freshness longer.
Enjoy microgreens as a “flavor condiment” for any dish.
Traditionally used as garnish in high end restaurants, we have found that microgreens add a fresh, bright element to a wide variety of dishes by adding not only flavor, but color, texture and nutrition as well. Rocket Farms organic microgreens offer an excellent array of blends, each with their own colors, flavors and uses:
- Micro Mix Spicy: A blend of red and green mustards that kicks up sandwiches, tacos and chili.
- Micro Mix Mild: This mizuna, cabbage, kale and kohlrabi blend adds a milder kick to sandwiches and depth of flavor to salads.
- Micro Red Russian Kale: The perfect addition to upgrade your salad to superfood status.
- Micro Beet Greens: Mix these into bean salads or add color and flavor to green salads.
- Micro Cilantro: The best taco condiment imaginable.
With such a variety of flavor, microgreens are for you to enjoy regularly and will add that “something extra” to your meals. Here are a few more ideas:
- Serve atop seafood, meat or egg dishes.
- Pack into sushi rolls, sandwiches and wraps.
- Sprinkle over fish tacos.
- Garnish soups.
- Accent cheese plates and hummus or dip platters.
- Mix into summer fruit, grain or pasta based salads.
- Toss with vinaigrette and your favorite toppings for a nutrition-packed salad.
We would love to see how you enjoy microgreens. Post your photos on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook, and tag them with #flavorcondiment and #microgreens.