With the school year almost in full swing quick healthy ways to start the day are on everyone’s mind! This Back-to-school season look to a tall glass of Clover Sonoma’s Organic Milk!
Why it’s more than just milk:
Milk naturally contains three macronutrients – Carbohydrates, Protein, and Fat – and many other essential nutrients that are important for kids, adults, and pregnant or nursing women: Magnesium, Phosphorus, Riboflavin, Vitamin A, Vitamin B12, and Potassium. Calcium and Vitamin D are naturally occurring in milk which we know are important for strong bones and healthy development; it’s a true superfood.
Some milk is fortified with Omega-3 and Choline which serves up a whole new list of benefits. Choline supports brain function and the nervous system, helps the body transport fat for metabolism, and provides early brain development during pregnancy. Dietitians have been aware of the importance of Choline for years and counted on the body to generate what it needs. Turns out the body can’t be counted on to make all the choline required for good health. Omega-3 fatty acids known as DHA is found in some fortified milks and also works to support brain function and development.
Milk is one of the most nutritionally complete single foods a person can put into their body, so long as they are not allergic to it. Milk is often reduced to its individual components when the magic of milk is that it is a whole food with nutrients that work synergistically together to support health.
Naturally occurring nutrients found in milk:
- CALCIUM: Builds and maintains strong bones and teeth.
- VITAMIN D: Carries messages between the brain and every body part, and the immune system needs vitamin D to fight off invading bacteria and viruses. Together with calcium, vitamin D also helps protect from osteoporosis.
- PROTEIN: Builds and repairs muscle tissue.
- VITAMIN B3 (NIACIN): Utilized in energy metabolism in the body to improve cholesterol levels and lower cardiovascular risks.
- VITAMIN A: Keeps skin and eyes healthy and promotes growth.
- VITAMIN B12 (COBALAMIN): Supports normal blood functions and keeps the nervous system healthy.
- VITAMIN B2 (RIBOFLAVIN): Helps your body use carbohydrates, fats, and protein for fuel.
- PHOSPHORUS: Builds and maintains strong bones and teeth, and supports tissue growth.
- CHOLINE: Supports brain and nervous system functions, and helps the body transport fat for metabolism and early brain development.
- POTASSIUM: Supports proper kidney and heart function, muscle contraction, and nerve transmission.
- MAGNESIUM: Regulates muscle and nerve function, blood sugar levels, blood pressure, and making protein, bone, and DNA.
So pour yourself and glass of Clover Sonoma milk and drink to your health!
Author: Tara Delloiacono-Thies, RDN
About Clover Sonoma
As a Certified B Corporation®, Clover Sonoma is proud to use their business as a force for good. Clover Sonoma’s passionate support of animal welfare, sustainable business practices, and giving back to the local community have always been hallmarks of the brand, and in 2016 Clover was officially certified. By choosing Clover products, you’re choosing a company that balances purpose, profit, and the greater good of the community.
We’ve been proudly partnered with Clover Sonoma for over 30 years!
Find delicious and sustainably conscious products from Clover Sonoma in all Mollie Stone’s Markets!