This delicious California Avocado and Hatch Chile Grilled Cheese sandwich is a fun and fresh take on a classic made with two in-season favorites — Hatch Chiles, in season August through September and California Avocados, in season spring through summer.
- 2 large Hatch green chiles, mild*
- 8 slices rustic wheat or white bread
- 4 Tbsp. butter, softened
- 8 slices Cheddar cheese**
- 2 medium ripe tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 firm but ripe, Fresh California Avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- Fresh basil leaves, (optional)
*If Hatch chiles are out of season, use fresh poblanos or canned Hatch chiles
**Use medium or sharp cheddar cheese according to your taste
- Cook chiles on a grill or under the broiler until nicely charred. Wrap in foil and let stand for 5 minutes to cool and soften. Carefully remove stem and seeds and cut into 1/4-inch strips.
- Spread 1/2 tablespoon butter onto one side of each slice of bread. Top bread slices with one slice cheese, chiles, tomato slices, onion and avocado, salt (on the avocado) in this order, adding basil if desired. Top with remaining cheese slices and close sandwiches. Place in a very large skillet, butter side down over medium heat and cook until the cheese is melted and sandwiches are golden brown, about 3 minutes on each side.
TIP: Sprinkle a bit of extra cheese into the skillet before adding sandwiches. You’ll get a, delicious golden-brown crunchy crust.
Serving Suggestion: Serve with fries, potato chips or a green salad
Beverage Pairing: Iced tea
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Find everything you need for this taste-of-summer sandwich in your local Mollie Stone’s Markets Produce Department.
Recipe from: California Avocado Commission
California Avocados Available at all Mollie Stone’s Markets:
- Greenbrae Market – 270 Bon Air Shopping Center
- Sausalito Market – 100 Harbor Drive
- SF Pacific Heights Market – 2435 California Street
- SF Castro Market – 4201 18th Street
- SF Twin Peaks Market – 635 Portola Drive
- San Bruno Market – 22 Bayhill Shopping Center
- San Mateo Market – 49 West 42nd Ave.
- Burlingame Market – 1477 Chapin Ave.
- Palo Alto Market – 164 S. California Ave.